Best practices for charging / discharging batteries

My question concerns the batteries usage.
I have the AC200Max and an EB70S.
What is the best practice for use.
Is it best to use the battery off and on until it is totally drained, before recharging fully, or just recharge to full after every use?
Thanks

@Liberty If the machine is brand new, it is recommended to perform two full charged and discharged.
Then the machine can be used normally.
A full charge and discharge once a month or two is recommended to calibrate the battery power

i try to use my batteries in a range of 20% - 80%. But as Bluetti-Team already say. It sometimes need theese calibration cycles

Battery technologies have evolved a lot in the past decade and are more flexible for different user scenarios. Furthermore the Battery Management System (BMS) circuits inside the Bluetti stations usually reserve a small chunk of the battery for safety and longevity. With that said, there’s no right or wrong way to use or charge your battery depending on its current state, use it as you need to!

The AC200Max is rated to still have 80% of its total battery capacity after fully discharging and then charging it 3500 times (and the EB70S it’s 2500 times). If you only discharge it to 50% and then fully charge it then the capacity will likely go down to 80% of its original capacity after 7000 cycles (EB70S: 5000 times).

1 Like

So for your LifePo4 batteries in general, it’s okay to allow them to fully discharge? I was concerned that sometimes my B300s drops to almost 10% during the night. I’ve been using PV Priority at 5% to make sure they don’t go to 0%.

According to Apple: You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100% of your battery’s capacity** — but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75% of your battery’s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25% the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100%, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle. It could take several days to complete a cycle.

Yep, that sounds right. The 7000/5000 cycle figure I provided is based on 50% Depth of Discharge (DoD) ‘cycles’ instead of 100% DoD.

It should also be fine to discharge your B300 to 0% but keeping it there for an extended period of time (ex. weeks) is not recommended as that’ll reduce the battery’s life.

1 Like

A correction to one of my previous statements. I said “The AC200Max is rated to still have 80% of its total battery capacity after fully discharging and then charging it 3500 times (and the EB70S it’s 2500 times).”

However, at 80% of the original capacity, LiFePo4 batteries are considered largely ineffective and will more rapidly degrade until it no longer holds a charge. The chart below illustrates an extreme case where the (NCA)battery appears to maintain its capacity well, but around 400 cycles, its performance deteriorates significantly, and it loses its capacity rapidly.

Credit: Mark Yue (Chief Marketing Officer at Bluetti Global)

Sorry, but are we comparing apples and oranges.
I understand that Lithium Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum Oxide (NCA) is different from Lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO4).
I think that LiFeP04 batteries are a lot better as opposed to the NCA type, and this was the big selling point for Bluetti products.
Please clarify.
Thanks
B Liberty

1 Like

The chart is an example of the capacity drop-off for the older NCA lithium-based batteries. It’s there to give you an idea of how LiFePo4 capacity drop off is after the vendor-provided cycle count (~3500 for AC200Max).