Another heavy hitter is coming to your house soon

BLUETTI EP900 - Your whole house backup battery.

From 9KW to 18KW

Expandable capacity up to 39kwh
Electrical bills killer

See what you can get at
https://www.bluettipower.com/pages/ep900b500

3 Likes

So this is a Powerwall competitor? I was thinking the AC500 was going to be that.

@St8kout Compared to AC500 system, the EP900 is capable of grid-tie. :grinning:

2 Likes

I read that it can supply 240 VAC in a single unit, but I doubt it can supply over 40 A as it is limited to 9 kW. The max current will be 37.5 A (9000 ÷ 240 = 37.5). The AC500 can supply over 40 A each (5000 ÷ 120 = 41.7), although you will need two in split phase mode for 240 VAC. Each AC300 can manage six B300S for 18 kWh. For 240 VAC you can go up to 36 kWh. The EB900 can manage eight B500 for up to 39 kWh.

So it depends what feature is more important, max current or max time. Then the total cost is important, too.

2 Likes

When will Bluetti post the cost of the EB900 and the B500?

The launch date has not yet been announced.
We will release more heavy surprise news on the eve of the launch of EP900 :) Stay tuned!

3 Likes

Getting Lower Electric Bills & Better Quality of Life. :partying_face: :partying_face:

3 Likes

That is an excellent video, but I see two drawbacks. The first is the dramatics of the guy after reading his electric bill . The second is the propane gas stove. I had an electric stove and oven before, but now I have an induction cooktop and a combination microwave and conventional cooktop. Both use less than 2 kW each and I can use them with my AC300 split phase system.

So please pass this message to the producers of that video. Ask them to add more electric appliances in use (even a clothes dryer can run on the EP900), and the video will comfort more and reduce worries to a real homeowner about fulfilling all his/her electrical necessities with the EP900. Don’t forget to describe and display the PV capacity with a show of the panels on the roof and an image of the power input at the EP900 screen.

2 Likes

It is great to see this as an alternative to Tesla Powerwall, SolarEdge Battery or the LG stuff. The Tesla Powerwall is pretty good, but is super expensive and generally unavailable, the other stuff just isn’t very good or flexible. Glad to see Bluetti entering the game.

Given the cost of batteries, the use of a battery system to time shift load is unlikely going to be economical in most locations with normal grid electricity prices. As for backup power it is going to be pretty expensive to have 20-30kWh of battery sitting around waiting for outage to happen.

It would be good to see a system that incorporates a V2L/V2G capable electric vehicle. They will become common place in the next few years and generally have 60-100kWh of battery within them. A smallish home battery backup (~5kWh) coupled with a large battery in the EV would be very useful. The main unit provides solar charging smarts, inverter buffer to power loads beyond the V2L/V2G power limits, charge the car during the day time, and the EV provide the bulk of the power storage. The smaller home battery (~6kWh) is for buffer and the times when the car needs to drive away for a little while.

1 Like

I would like to give a shout out to Annie in customer service. She addressed my situation immediately.

1 Like

Power Independence, Start Here

2 Likes

Can this work with solar panel optimizers? In USA and Canada, there is a “rapid shut down rule” where solar panels are required to cut off their power when grid fails or a certain switch is thrown. SolarEdge is popular as their optimizers double as rapid shutoff devices. However, those optimizers would listen for a signal from the connected SolarEdge inverter to turn on/off. It would be good if Bluetti can work with SolarEdge optimziers, or other optimiazer / rapid shut off devices.

1 Like

@snowstorm EP900 can be used with Solar Edge with optimizer solar panels or other inverters for AC coupling, simply by adding one of our meters.

Ok, AC coupled, I got it. This is EXACTLY what I am looking for!!!

In this case, the EP900 would need to use the battery power to provide a “Grid” signal to the PV inverter as most PV inverters will stop working once the grid is out. If the grid is out, the EP900 would need to sink all the power from the PV inverter to either the loads or the battery as the PV inverter assume it can push all it can to the grid, what happens if the battery are full and there isn’t enough load to sink the PV inverter’s power?

I just bought an AC300/B300 series to build my own improvised version of this for my SolarEdge system, where I would manually reconnect the solar panels to the PV input of the AC300 in the case of outage. I should have waited for the EP900 as it would do exactly what I am looking to do.

One thing we should consider is for the ability to tie in a bi-directional EV charger. A EV can be used as a huge stationary battery, so you can have say 10kWh with 2xB500 and then another 80kWh sitting in the car.

1 Like

I believe that such rules are for grid tied panels that don’t go through a central controller to store energy. Grid tied panels save cost while they are operating as they supply power displacing the utility. But during a power failure they can feed power back into the grid, keeping the grid live. If there are linesmen working on the downed lines, that feed power can shock and maim or even kill them.

Bluetti systems never feed power to the grid as they have separated grid inputs from the AC output toward the load. So they don’t have to do a “rapid shut down” at all. And they don’t need any optimizers because the PV panels are feed directly into the Bluetti MPPT inputs. The Bluetti systrms does all the DC to AC conversions internally.

1 Like

I like the flexibility of an AC coupled system, and believed the Tesla power walls are AC coupled too. The rapid shutdown is not only to prevent AC grid backfeed but also to prevent issues with first responders cutting through the roof. It states that shortly after the shut down happens (may be a grid out or a switch), no wire further than 1m away from a panel may have voltage exceed 30V or something. So many panels have optimizers or shutdown devices to comply. This is kind of overkill but apparently, Solaredge lobbied hard to have such a rule passed to increase purchase of their optimizer which can double as shutdown devices.

This isn’t a concern for the EP900 as it AC coupled downstream from the inverter.

1 Like

:boom:Excited to see how this will compete with the Tesla Powerwall products.
I can see using something like this when building a new place or remodeling an older one. Remote properties I can see benefiting from this.