AC70 v B80

I am sharing my research experience re my recent purchases. The last two purchases were the AC180 followed by the AC70. Although both can be used in the home as backup power, my other reason for purchase was for off grid caravan camping. (Australia)

After purchasing the AC180, I looked at 2 options to extend battery capacity, with size and weight for travel being primary factors. The 2 options were the B80 battery and the AC70. Similar size and weight.

B80 = 806Wh, some DC outlets and without purchasing additional charging brick or enhancer, the only way for me to charge it, is solar or car, only fitted with an MPPT regulator. Nor can I use it with the expansion cable only in power bank mode on the AC70 and AC180.

AC70 = 768Wh, similar DC outlets plus 2 x 240VAC, inbuilt 240VAC charger, 1,000W inverter, a display and connection to the app over and above the B80.

The only plus of the B80 is an additional 38Wh of battery, which in the scheme of things is insignificant. (in my opinion)

The B80 is currently priced at AU$999. The AC70 priced at AU$1,099, but currently on special for AU$899, the price I paid.

I figure paying AU$100 less, getting all of the benefits of a power bank, AC outlets and App connection etc was worth losing 38Wh. :)

I should add, that the AC60 was not an option for me as the 600W inverter is not big enough to run an electric toaster, toasty sandwich maker or my small camp kettle, the AC70 is. The AC180 powers my microwave and in the event of caravan batteries needing an AC charge, them as well.

1 Like

Forgot to mention, the B80 in power bank mode, with no data connectivity to my power stations appears to have no way of updating any firmware. The AC70, connects to the App and does have update capability. Which was, albeit small, a factor in my decision.

I just googled ‘why is the B80 more expensive than the AC70’ for the same reasons and it led me to this forum and your comment lol, I totally agree - I don’t get the prices, it seems you are paying a lot in lost features and money for stack ability/ space saving.

1 Like

Way I look at it, if you have 2 x AC70s, both fully charged and 240VAC pass thru charge one from the other and use it to power loads, you get an expansion battery set up. As soon as the charging battery is depleted, disconnect and go charge it while the other is still running the load. Yes, some loss re efficiency, but if you’re worried about the difference using a B80, you probably need a bigger unit anyway. However, you get the functionality of 2 power stations together or apart and both are App connectable and can be updated. I just checked the sale site and the AC70 is currently at $849 AUD on sale, the B80 is $999. I reckon $150 is worth a little less kWh. :)

First thanks to everyone for this discussion. (Question below)

I received my AC70 and B80 yesterday and I was frankly disappointed with the lack of real integration between the two. Not to mention having to buy another $80 in cables yesterday. And to find out that I still have to pay $130 for an AC charger or the only other option is to charge it by the 12-28VDC 10amp max input? Seriously? So I agree, no, the additional 38Wh is definitely not worth it. So I just bought another AC70 and hopefully, they will let me return the B80 and not have to pay return (to Amazon) shipping.

Question: Mandp said, “Way I look at it, if you have 2 x AC70s, both fully charged and 240VAC pass thru charge one from the other and use it to power loads, you get an expansion battery set up.”

How is this pass-through charge between the two AC70s achieved? And 240AC? Is it 240/220 VAC due to yours being set up for power in Europe? (I’m in the US)

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

Easy;

1. Each AC70 can be charged via its AC input lead independent of each other
  2. For pass thru, simply plug AC70-1 into your grid wall socket and AC70-2 into AC70-1s AC outlet.
    No I’m in Australia, however the operation is identical. It doesn’t matter that you have 120VAC and we 240VAC. The only not needed warning is don’t mix voltages. :)
    If the grid is down, AC70-1 is pass thru/charging AC70-2. You will have slightly less power capacity due to inverter and system losses. The loss in total will be more than the 38Wh battery difference. 2 x AC70 = 1536Wh total at around a net 85% capacity will give a rough total capacity of 1300Wh. Which for my money is a better option than the B80, which needs a further AC charger expense and can only connect to the AC70 via the power limited DC input. As I also have an AC180, I can use the 180 to power the 70 or vice versa the AC70 to boost the 180s capacity. Which way round would depend on inverter power needs. That total would give me around 1635Wh of capacity. Neither the AC180 or AC70 are designed to incorporate OEM battery expansion, but that does not mean they can’t be added to. Even adding a 100Ah LiFePo4 deep cycle to the DC input can expand both units. However, if your AC power consumption exceeds the DC charge input, the Bluetti units will eventually go flat, possibly before the added battery does.
1 Like

Forgot one important point -
By pass thru charging an identical unit, if your load is at the max 1000W from the 2nd unit, the first will pass thru the same amount of power you use until it is depleted. Then then the 2nd unit’s battery takes over, same as UPS.

Using the B80 to supplement an AC70 will not charge the AC70 at the same rate as maximum AC power use. i.e. DC input is 500W max, half the max output.

1 Like