AC200L: Greenhouse thermostat triggers overload when fan is OFF

[UPDATE: I think there may have been a problem with the connections in the line voltage thermostat so I swapped in a new thermostat with a plug-in outlet and updated the fan to use a power cord with plug. Things seem to be working fine now.]

Hi, all.

I’ve had an AC200L in my greenhouse for the past few months powering a heat mat for seedlings and it’s been great. Now that the weather’s warmer, I’d like to use it to power the exhaust fan which is connected to a line voltage mechanical thermostat.

However, when I plug the thermostat into AC (and the fan is OFF), the AC200L clicks a couple of times, shuts down and displays the “overloaded” and “alarm” indicators.

When I plug in the thermostat and the fan is ON, the AC200L and the fan runs fine.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Hi @beagel2

don’t understand fully, what exactly you connect, but speaking generally, some devices need a lot of power when powering on. The Unit can hold that peak power for a few seconds. Does it draw more power after the few seconds, the unit displays overload.

Maybe your load has a different start power when the fan is running.

Do you have something to measure the power or can you tell by the power meter on the ac200l?

Greetings
Erik

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

The weird thing was that it only shutdown the unit when the fan was OFF, but worked fine when it was ON.

I’m guessing there was a problem with some of the connections inside of the thermostat. I’ve replaced it with a plug-in thermostat and everything seems to be working fine.

1 Like

Great to hear that you now have a solution that worked for you :slight_smile:

1 Like