EB3A fans noise - how is fix it!

It’s definitive a faulty design.
The temp sensors are mounted on the two heatsinks but the transformer between the heatsinks is much hotter then the heatsinks.

That mounting on the heat sink is OK as long as the calibrate for it. Not necessarily a flaw.

I do believe that not activating the fans no matter what in UPS mode is an issue.

Why is there a plastic wrap?

That mounting on the heat sink is OK as long as the calibrate for it. Not necessarily a flaw.

No, the problem is that the heatsinks are still cold but the transformer is already hot and then when the heatsinks get hotter the temp curve ist to steep. And due to the non-smoothed PWM the fan starts too late. It is buzzing but still not rotating.

I do believe that not activating the fans no matter what in UPS mode is an issue.

See above. :slight_smile:

Why is there a plastic wrap?

Two reasons. The voltage between the sinks is 12V and the fan is to small to ventilate the whole case.

The plastic is there to form a tunnel which directs the airflow over the warmest items. This is common design practice and good design as well.

2 Likes

Generally yes, but in this case not. In both senses. :wink:
The vent is way to narrow and strangley on the bottom side of the case.
Have a trial and let the EB3A running with open case. The fan hardly ever starts.

@tinking Could you post a picture with instructions on the capacitor mod please? And as far as the temperature sensor locations, do you think moving one of the sensors closer to the transformer would yield a benefit?

@snowstorm I believe the inverter overload issue might be related to heat soaking in UPS mode. When mine tripped earlier today, I picked up the unit and it felt way too warm for my liking.

1 Like

I don’t think the inverter overload is necessarily heat related. I have 3 units, 2 of them overload, and the 3rd one overheat when it is hot. The one that overheat doesn’t have overload problem and has been operating for nearly 2 months now in a cooler spot.

1 Like