Charging when battery is at 100%

I would like to know how a fully charged EB70 handles input power from connected solar panel. I have a panel installed on my vehicle which I want to leave connected to the EB70 all the time. What will happen when the battery reaches a full charge and the panel is still sending power through the input line? Would this create a hazard of any kind?

Hi @ScottH,

Welcome to our community and thank you for asking.
It won’t hurt your EB70. Because it will automatically stop charging if it has been fully charged. But you need to remove and connect the cable if you want to recharge EB70 again.

2 Likes

So you are saying if you leave the EB70 plugged into solar panel all the time, you will have to manually disconnect and reconnect them for it to begin charging after charge depletion if it ever hits 100% full? It just won’t start charging automatically once it discharged?

Solar panel plugged in
SOC 50% charging
SOC 100% stops charging
Now I a using it, so SOC drops to 80%
Will it start charging again by itself?

Hi @snowstorm,

Yes, you’d to disconnect and reconnect it to recharge the unit. It won’t start charging again by itself.

1 Like

@snowstorm,

I absolutely hate that this is the case. I have the PS70 and learned the hard way after the battery drained. I know this work around isn’t possible for a solar panel, but wanted to post a work around for others who are using regular 120v to charge.

I have two units, one for portability and the other acting as a UPS for my network. The UPS setup is obviously the problematic one given this “feature” if want to call it that.

If you have a smart home system with a smart plug, you can put rules in place to power cycle the smart switch. This seems to be working well as of now, but I’m still playing with it and need to find the right balance.

Samsung Smart Things
Kasa Smart Plug (Can be any brand)
Routine 1: If Kasa plug stays on for 5 minutes, turn Kasa plug off
Routine 2: If Kasa plug stays off for 5 minutes, turn Kasa plug on

The 5 minute on/off interval is just a starting point and I may have to adjust it up or down. The interval will need to be determined on each individual use case and factor in how many watts are being drawn on average.

Also, if you don’t have a smart home, it’s still possible to schedule it in a native app, but it is very tedious to add that many schedules, so the smart home solution simplifies it quite a bit.