AC300 to Transfer Switch

No, actually the problem happens when all the switches are set to “Grid”… even when set to “Off” if memory serves.

Ok, good… I will test it with no loads on the transfer switch turned on and then with a few loads to see what happens.

The other element that I can see that might be happening with a transfer switch that does not isolate the neutral is that the AC300 might be acting like a GFCI switch… it might see a difference in the level of power on the neutral line from feedback/power coming from your main panel. Therefore, it may be shutting off the AC output, just like your GFCI outlet would do when the power on the HOT and Neutral are imbalanced thinking it is a short.

Yes, reliance 510c protran2. 10 circuits. Only fails when switch is connected to the ac300 30a ac output .

Yeah thanks for the suggestion. in essence using dc power similar to using solar. Ac wall power converted to dc power by t500? Good thought but not an option I would elect.

I don’t think the load being on matters but my ac inverter was on with the transfer switch connected without any of the breakers from the Transfer switch on gen. so no load switch over. The transfer switch breakers were all set on line, which the loads are drawing from the main panel not ac300.

Hmmm… that makes a lot of sense. It would also explain why just clearing the alert allows it to continue functioning – just like resetting the breaker.

I notice Reliance sells “neutral kits” for some of their switches (see NK10 Pro/Tran2 Neutral Kit). From the description, it says: “Kit is used where AFCI-GFCI breakers are required.”

I hear Reliance tech support is very good, I think I will see if they have any insights…

Yes my thought as well that the ac300 senses the neutral voltage difference and cuts the inverter off like a circuit breaker protecting against a fault.

Well that’s another good point… my transfer switch works with AFCI/GFCI breakers, I actually have two in my transfer switch that works with grid/gas-gen/ac300s with no issues.

I just completed my test with my transfer switch connect and running the same grid power off/on tests. uploading video now.

If you haven’t you may want to watch my video that I created for Bluetti support on “my” issue… I’m not sure if they are related to this issue, but apart of my testing this morning with my transfer switch connected included testing of spike loads… I have documented issues with spike loads when the grid ac is plugged in and then shown that it works perfectly fine if you run just off battery/solar.

Another thing I caught this morning was that when I did the spike loads the AC300 shut off outbound AC… it would not restore outbound AC until I went over to my transfer switch and cycled the breaker that held that load. As soon as I did so, the AC300 automatically restarted outbound AC… which caught me by surprise…

Check out this link that I just came across On transfer switch installation. go to the section that talks about needing a new transfer switch and neutral bonding and the reliance neutral kit.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/232792/adding-transfer-switch-to-main-breaker-with-no-available-ground-neutral-spots-on

Here is another link
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/143483/code-how-can-a-transfer-switch-not-switch-neutrals

Good find!.. He is talking about the fact that the generator that he is using is a bonded neutral. I can’t 100% say what the AC300 is… when not connected to grid or a transfer switch it is floating… but when connected to the grid for charging, or at least when I connect it to my transfer switch it’s bonded… probably because of my main panel when charging and because of my transfer switch when running my loads.

He also referenced the x-series that I mentioned above that does switch it… but you said you found a kit? Is this for your existing transfer switch?

I don’t know. I sent an email to Guenter from reliance support asking him about the neutral kit. Don’t know if the neutral kit is the same as the XRK0303 from their Panel/Link X series. I should ask Guenter about as well. But more is making sense now.

Well I hope we can figure this out… just got off the phone with Matthew ( mjb8706), about this subject… the AC300 works great as long as you don’t introduce grid AC power for charging… so hopefully we can get this resolved together. I’ll do some research on the reliance switches and see if I can find a work-around

Yeah I remember Matthew was the person whose ac300 popped and had to replace it. We we talking early on this issue. Now my ac300 experienced the same pop/issue he experienced.

So I decided to look at the official Bluetti transfer switch. If you look at their manual you’ll see in the schematics on neutrals (pg 15), you will see that they switches the 2 hots and the neutrals for each power source. They are isolated from each other.

The video uploaded… here is my test this morning with my Generac 50 amp transfer switch connected:

1 Like

This is great info guys, thanks for the postings!

That article in the stack exchange is about my exact transfer switch!

I watched your transfer switch video @twister36 – very interesting. I think I will have to replace my transfer switch and may go with that one knowing it (mostly) works. I wonder: could that outlet that is tripping be somehow “catching” the problem allowing the AC300 to then not fault? Could you try repeating the test after the outlet has tripped but not reseting it? Just a long shot but…

Could you also tell me the model number of that Generic switch? Thank you!

Yeah I noticed that earlier too… the Bluetti is technically a sub panel which from my understanding means you actually move the circuits out of the main panel to the sub panel (versus a transfer switch that keeps them in the main panel and just ‘splices’ into them). Their manual is a little light on details.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong on the difference between a sub- and transfer- panel though.

Here is the link to my model, but just a warning you are going to lose some functionality. On yours you can move each circuit independently. On mine every circuit in my transfer switch moves together… I can only have one source of power at a time.

https://factorypure.com/products/generac-9854-50-amp-homelink-pre-wired-manual-transfer-switch-10-16-circuits-new?variant=39507749929149&campaignid=6515250854&adgroupid=77920940146&creative=383323897090&matchtype=&network=g&device=c&keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAiAqIKNBhAIEiwAu_ZLDnpOe-m_Hny8QVX_xZ6qhrdhy-mqv8MkO9ePxDjFYU5LYEbBFNqHjRoCdF8QAvD_BwE

1 Like