AC300 to Transfer Switch

ugh… I’m beating a dead horse here. The 008 error is directly related to the transfer switch. You must have switched neutral. The 008 error can be caused by other circumstances, but the primary reason is the transfer switch and a alternative path for your circuit to complete through the charging outlet.

The AC turning off will when grid power is taken away will be resolved in the next firmware…

The AC turning off when grid power is restored is by design.

I have never received an 008 error, even with dozens and dozens of tests with my transfer switch. I do not have switched neutral.

My AC does not turn off when grid power is taken away, connected to transfer switch or not.

The AC turning off when grid power restored “is by design” has only recently been reported by support. When this thread started months ago all they said was “Sorry”, “Don’t worry”, “We’re researching the issue”. Then they went silent here.

My experience is the same as Recycle.
I only experienced the 008 (ac300 popped and died) only after they sent me a new ac300 replacement as they wanted my original ac300 for analysis. I never experienced 008 on my original ac300s. I also never had the ac output turned off when power was taken away. Ac output turned off only when power was restored.

Twister36, when ac output turned off after power was restored, did you receive a high voltage alarm which must be cleared before it will let you restart the ac output?

Recycle: What transfer switch are you using?
Are you running one or two AC300 units?
thanks
coz

Twister36:
Ok, sounds like I need to spend the cash & get a neutral switching transfer box.
Is this what you are using?
Which switch are you using?
Also, the switch I have with only one neutral, that I sent a phot of, I wonder if that would work with the AC200Max?
Coz

I’m running a Reliance Controls 30310A Pro/Tran 10-Circuit. This does not switch neutrals and causes the problems.

I’m also running a couple single-circuit EZ Transfer Switches that do switch the neutrals, and these do fully work.

I’m running a single AC300 with two B300s.

One question I have is if you installed a NEUTRAL KIT for PRO/TRAN 2, so each circuit then had a neutral, would that then make your pro tran units good to go for the AC300’s & would then be the same if you spent the big money on a neutral switching transfer switch?
Is the only difference between a neutral switching transfer switch & a non switching transfer switch, the addition of a white neutral wire on each circuit?

Recycle:
thanks for the info. I am just setting up an AC300 & two B300’s also. But have plans to get another setup for 240v etc. Where do you have the EZ switches hooked up? Am not sure where I would install them. My current transfer switch is a 6 circuit model

FYI…
Reliance neutral kit is used for installation of gfci or afci breakers not for switching of neutral. Protran2 310crk which I also have only has one Non switched neutral to the main panel.

I asked Reliance about their “neutral kit” and it does not add individual neural switching. (I have to admit I forgot what the intention of it is. EDIT: Ah, @t4602yf explained that above.)

Yes, the difference is a neutral for each circuit. You need the control switch on each circuit to have a pole just for neutral. On my EZ Transfer Switch, this is what it does – and requires four wires coming into the panel for each circuit. The panel fills up fast so it becomes impractical to wire too many in. It also lacks GFCI breaker-support.

(I will add one disadvantage of the neutral switching transfer switches is (from all the ones that’s I’ve found) they switch all the circuits at once, and not individually. For me this is a problem because I want to run some circuits off solar and others not, but want all to be accessible in a power-outage.)

Lots of research for something that should be plug & play.
I will be charging my unit only from solar & never from the grid.
On my 6 circuit transfer box, I would be running the fridge, freezer, a few lights & outlets from my solar charged AC300. All 6 circuits in the transfer box, would always be set to solar generator.
All the rest of the circuits of course are in my main panel & not included in the transfer switch. When the grid goes down, they are down. But my AC300 would continue to run those 6 circuits whether the grid is working or down. The way I am reading your comment - in your transfer switch, you will be running some of them from the AC300 & some from the grid, but when the power goes out, you want to switch them to the AC300?
What I want to do with my smaller 6 circuit unit is power them from solar all the time with enough battery storage to last a couple of days & nights during stormy weather before the sun comes out again. So all the circuits that will stay on the grid are staying in my panel & not connected to the transfer switch. So it looks like I will have to invest in a neutral switching transfer box.

Hi everyone,
I just received a wiring diagram from bluetti after sales engineer. Doesn’t this diagram show the transfer switch bonded with the panel? Although the protran2 does not have the bus bars for neutral and ground but single wire. But the same in my point of view. The engineer just emailed me with this.

Hi William ,
The new AC300 can work with this switch.

@coz - if you are only charging from solar and never from the grid (which is how my AC200MAX is set up right now) then it will be no problem whatever transfer switch you choose.

The issue is only when you have AC input coming into the AC300 from the grid AND the transfer switch is connected at the same time.

Agreed!

In that case you would not even need a neutral-switching transfer switch since you are never connecting to the grid. It works fine in this configuration – I’ve used it this way.

Exactly.

Yeah that is definitely a transfer switch that doesn’t switch the neutral.

Any chance when he says “new” AC300 he means they have a newer version?? (Hope springs eternal.)

The information coming out of @Bluetti on transfer switches has always been inconsistent from what I’ve seen.

I am not sure what he means by new. But I received the latest ac300 as a replacement for my blown 008 unit yesterday. I just plugged the transfer switch into it and the power chord plugged on a gfci outlet and then turned on the ac output and the gfci popped and needed reset. This happened on the original ac300. I had switched out the outlet back then to a regular non gfci outlet and it would run. However I switched the outlet back to gfci for code. I left the outlet as gfci and did not switch out again. I don’t think I will test anymore. I have no plans to use the ac300 and charge at the same time. Just in backup mode when power goes out. Leave well enough alone.

1 Like

I don’t experience any high voltage warnings when my grid power is restored. Are you getting this with an actual grid outage or when you simulate an outage? If so, how are you simulating it, pulling a plug, using a switch or breaker?

The key word is “new”… I’m waiting for more information on how to identify, but they made a physical hardware change in the new batch of AC300’s to support the non-switched neutral transfer switches.

So, @recycle , yes they have a new version that “fixes” this issue…

I suspect they are isolating the AC Input’s ability to reach back to the power “source”.

If your transferring from grid power to ac300 power then your gfci devices are seeing an imbalance of power and will trip.