UPS Problem on EB3A

I look forward to an official BLUETTI comment on this. I hope they are able to fix this with a firmware update. I have posted elsewhere that the UPS does not turn on the AC when grid power comes back after battery empty. One must manually turn it back on. Not good for refrigerator if you are not there when grid power is restored.

1 Like

To my knowledge, the last firmware update for the EB3A was in early July. There hasn’t been one since. I don’t anticipate that a firmware update to fix anything will be forthcoming any time soon.

It seems that Bluetti’s priority is to pump out new products, rather than fixing existing models.

Any news on the ups feature? Ready to drop some cash for 10 units but seen this post and really rethinking my purchase.

I wish I found this before I bought 3 units, I’m having the same problems with all 3. Shipped with latest firmware, very disappointed. Do the bigger units have the same issues? Or do I need to go back to an old SLA UPS?

Does Bluetti read these threads?
I have posted on EB3A issues but have not had Any BLUETTI software engineers reply about these issues. Would they share the firmware and open source it so the community could fix these issues? Thanks!

@MaineBob Yes, @BLUETTI and its support/software team are active on here. As for your unit in particular, you can check to see if its updated or not by connecting to you eb3a via bluetooth, and go into the settings and select firmware update.

I ended up returning all 3 units since they were all affected by this… The Ebay customer service was easy to work with, thank you. The unit I bought from Amazon was more of a hassle actually… I got a quick message about a review I posted wanting to address my concerns, and ignored all of them… And like others above, I did not get a reply from support…

I sent them the link to this thread hoping someone can solve this. I would buy another unit if this is actually solved, or even buy a bigger unit if it was more up to the task but not sure I want to roll the dice…

It doesn’t seem like that: the issue has been reported on multiple threads and different models, with zero serious answers from Bluetti.

@enrico.mcc I personally have 4 different eb3a units and use them for different purposes, and after doing all the updates, havent had 1 single issue. What seems to be the issue with your unit? Have you done all the updates?

Yes it’s updated.
Do you use it as an UPS?
If yes, you should have noticed:

1. every 35 minutes the battery goes to 99% and the unit starts recharging itself for no reason at all.
  2. if the battery is out of charge and the power comes back the Bluetti doesn’t turn back on the AC output, leaving the connected appliance powerless.

@enrico.mcc I do in fact use 2 of them as an UPS. Issue #1 was resolved with the most current update on my units, BUT I did have to complete an entire “cycle” after the update to get the units to stay at that 100% while in UPS mode. Charge to 100% with no loads/no outputs turned “on”. Then unplug from wall, put a constant AC load on the unit and run it until the unit completely shuts off the AC output. Unplug the AC load, then place the wall charger back on the eb3a with no output “on” or appliances plugged in. Charge until 100% and then unplug from wall. Shut off unit completely. Then turn on your unit. plug in the wall charger until UPS is displayed, then plug in appliance and turn output “on”.

As for #2, this is going to happen with all portable power stations… If unit is depleted completely, youre going to have to toggle “on” the outputs after it gets an incoming charge. I personally dont know of ANY units that would turn on the outputs automatically after detecting an input source.

I followed your indications (except for the firmware update that is not available/already at the last version) but the UPS behaviour didn’t change: still cycling between 100% and 99%, even with no load connected.

Regarding the second point, all the “standard” UPS I’ve had behaved in the same way: when the power is back they provide pass-through energy to the connected load without any user intervention (so without pressing any button)

I Agree with Enrico.mcc’s points above about the Bluetti EB3A’s:

1. every 35 minutes the battery goes to 99% and the unit starts recharging itself for no reason at all.
  2. if the battery is out of charge and the power comes back the Bluetti doesn’t turn back on the AC output, leaving the connected appliance powerless.
    Re: 1. When not connected to the mains the EB3A can store a 100% charge for more than 3 weeks with AC and DC off. (That’s the longest time I have not used it.) I love my quiet environment and having the fan come on every 35 minutes to cool off whatever the EB3A is doing IS DISRUPTIVE to the silence and is unnecessary power consumption with proper Firmware coding. (yes, I have the latest).

Re: 2. It is false advertising to call the EB3A an “UNINTERRUPTABLE power supply” UPS. It is an “INTERRUPTABLE power supply” (IPS). This could be fixed in firmware. When in UPS mode, the unit can sense the AC line and turn on the AC after an outage. This may require a software switch in settings to turn on and off the UPS function.

Has any Blueddi engineer come to look at these threads. If so, can they comment?

Thanks!

-Bob

3 Likes

Same problem here. Got mine couple of days ago tu use as UPS for my NAS, switch, router. Attatched some stuff for a 110-120W in UPS mode, using either DC and AC output. Today suddenly it turned off, slightly warm, DEAD. No chance to turn it on in any way. Waitin for assistence to reply. I think I will give it back together the solar panel. I guess they’re not ready yet to make it function as UPS.

1 Like

After seeing all the folks having problems with the EB3A I don’t understand
why Bluetti service acts like its something new, I have had my EB3A for less then a month and have had the ups problem from the start. Tried different loads
different settings to no avail.
Requested a return and only got a list of things to do that I already have done.
Like somehow it will magically start to work. My software is all current.
This must be a design flaw, they don’t seem to eager to take the unit back.
The UPS function was the reason I bought it in the first place.

3 Likes

Hello! I bought EU version of EB3A and faced with issue:
I use the station in UPS mode, use only DC outputs for Wi-Fi router and GPON terminal (4W). The Station works fine but every 30-40 min it runs fan. It’s very loud, the same volume level for different modes - silent, standard, turbo. I have noticed it happens when battery goes to 99%. The Station is warm.
I am not sure is it ok or no? A bit scary to be left unattended and at night it’s annoying.

I think it’s not correct behavior of UPS mode. It shouldn’t be 1% discharged every 30min

I think firmware is latest version. See screenshots below:

I got this behavior on my AC300 and others mentioned the same on the AC500.
Bluetti Admin confirmed that the unit works as designed and is not faulty.

The explanation is that all internal electronics work ONLY off battery power. Even when utility power is fine. So when the unit is turned on in UPS mode, the internal electronics slowly drains the battery. Around 99% the battery will get recharged to 100% and this may/will cause the fans to come on.

You can try limiting AC charging current and/or enable silent mode to see if that limits the charging fan speed and sound level.

1 Like

Created an account just to add myself to the list of people having the inverter overload issue in UPS bypass mode. Got it from the black friday sale and it arrived about a month ago, worked flawlessly for about 3 weeks then recently start getting this error. I have firmware ARM 2062.02 and DSP 2056.10, not sure if these are latest, is there a way to find out? Cant find it on Bluetti’s web site.